Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A review of Coleman College's / Coleman University's CIS program, part 1

2/4/13 UPDATE: I appreciate all of the comments from fellow alumni and prospective students. Hopefully they've helped someone who's trying to decide the best way to spend their money towards an education. I approve all non-spam comments (whether people say good things or bad things - I'm sure visitors who read them appreciate the honesty), but it sometimes takes me months to approve them because I don't use Blogger as much as I used to. So if you post a comment, please don't be offended if it doesn't show up right away.
========
7/6/09 UPDATE: Coleman College is now known as Coleman University - this review was written for their classes that I took in 2005-2006, so some things in their curriculum may have changed since then.
========

ORIGINAL POST:

If you live in San Diego county, you've probably seen the commercials for Coleman College... "the fast track to a career in computers" or something along those lines.

You might be wondering, is it worth it?

As a Coleman alumni, I'm here to give you my thoughts about it. Depending on what path you choose, you go through different core programs. Each core program consists of 7 modules or mods, with two classes per mod. One class is 4 units and the other class is 8 units, or you may even have 3 4 unit classes in one mod.

I first started off wanting to learn the Computer Networking side of things. Since the first three mods of the core program for both Networking and Programming are all the same classes, I got to experience the programming side and ended up switching my major to CIS after mod 3 (a lot of people at my campus ended up switching from Networking to Programming).

Mod 1 - Intro to Programming (using C), Intro to PCs and Networks

Intro to Programming gives an overview of how to program using the C language. Here you'll start off with learning pseudocode, proper C syntax, and then learn about variables, conditional statements, loops, arrays, multidimensional arrays, references, structures, etc. The programs you write are a simple calculator, then a more advanced calculator, a temperature conversion program, an interview program. I enjoyed this course a lot because my teacher was excellent at teaching the subject. You could tell that she really had a passion for programming in general and would do her best to help anyone understand it. She wouldn't give up on debugging anything, so you'd never be left on your own if you really needed help.

I don't know if it's just because the way my teacher taught it that made it seem easy or if it just really was easy, but it really didn't seem that hard at all. The other people in my class also thought it was pretty easy - maybe we were all just a smart group.

Intro to PCs and Networks was just that - an introduction. So if you already know a lot about how to use a computer, Windows, and Microsoft Office, then this will be a really boring class for you. They have this class because some people who go to Coleman have NEVER used a computer before. So that's why it's the way it is... and the instructor has to stick to the curriculum. He can't skip anything, even if the whole class already knows it. You learn all about computer hardware and how to put a PC together, the boot sequence, IRQs, DOS commands, Windows, Microsoft Office, and different types of networking. This class was just a big snooze fest for me and the other people in my class.

Before I move on to mod 2, let me take a moment to talk about tests. Tests are a complete joke. Sometimes there might be a written test, but 99% of the tests you take will be done on computer by logging into Coleman's "Papa Bear" system. Most of the questions are multiple choice, but some will be fill in the blank. You usually get two ungraded quizzes before taking a test and the quizzes will have the same questions as what's on the test. The quizzes are taken in groups, so that everybody has a chance to see more of the questions that are in the test pool. So all you really need to do to pass a test is memorize the answers that were on the quizzes. If you don't have a good memory or you weren't paying attention to anything in class, then you'll probably do bad at tests. Almost everybody does pretty well on tests... that's why they're such a joke.

I'll cover more of the mods in more parts of this review later.

Here are the links to all of the parts: Part 1Part 2Part 3Part 4Part 5Part 6Part 7, more thoughts

10 comments:

pucker said...

Thanks !!

I came across your blog after committing myself to Coleman College come Jan of '09. Your blog has helped establish my motivation to use my computer addiction as a career.

Thanks again

Contact Me said...

I am another Coleman College Alumni. Please contact me via this temporary email address that is good for a month puysmacc@trashmail.net

I do not want to post my real email address because it will get spired. Still, I have a great deal I have learned about Coleman College I want to share.

Yes, Coleman College's testing practices are a joke as is their mainframe, Papa Bear, which could be easily replaced with a PC running Linux. Hell, they even store their grades on that old thing. When I was there, they were converting from Novell to Active Directory and their setup stunk. They were doing wierd shit like manually adding computers to the domain and even manually configuring IP addresses in their bullshit subnet created by a professor who could not manage to follow the KISS pricipal when all he had to do was connect two campuses. The main building and the other building is connected via slow microwave beam wireless because they are too stupid or cheap to run a physical cable. Their production servers were production PCs to boot.

I do not want to put down the college, but have you ever noticed how many of the same teachers teach different courses? What education do the instructors really have? The answer is that Coleman College instructors do not typically have Master's Degrees or Doctorates like most other professors of other higher-education institutions.

It may make you more marketable in the job market, and some people have had success with Coleman because it gave them the courage to push forward. Still the degrees are NOT Regionally Accredited! You will NOT be able to transfer your degree to California State University, Anywhere, nor will you be able to transfer it to University of California, Somewhere. Many employers will not recognize it either though you will have far better luck with employers than other Colleges and Universities because employers are mostly inept

I know that may be hard for you to believe because when you asked, “Is Coleman College Accredited,” they answered, "We are fully accredited by the Accrediting Counsel for Independent Schools and Colleges (ACICS) to award Associates, Bachelors, and Masters Degrees... ACICS is nationally recognized accrediting by the United States Department of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).” Well, they were telling you the truth, but they were still deceiving you because ACICS is a second-rate accrediting counsel. The proper question to ask would have been, “Is Coleman College regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC): Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges ensuring my work here will be universally accepted by other Colleges and Universities should I transfer?”

You probably do not really believe me, but I hope I have got you thinking. I suggest you try transferring your units to a State College, University, or Community College. If you do not believe me, place an anonymous phone call to any major college and tell them you have transcripts from Coleman College. Pretend you are a prospective student with units to transfer and see where it goes. Ensure any college you attend is Regionally Accredited by one of these: http://www.aspa-usa.org/regional/regaccreditors.html accreditors.

Anonymous said...

I went to Coleman University and got my BA in Graphic Design. Employers don't care is the University is 1st or 2ns grade accredited. The fact is the degree is what matters and wheather or not you can work and are able to learn a new job position. Coleman University has produced so many top quality employes that every hr I have talked to knows somebody in the computer field that went to Coleman.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I went to Coleman for year in Computer Networking. Like the another blogger has already said the credits are non transferable to a real College. For me that doesn't make any sense at all to go to Coleman College. Why spend xxx of dollars if you can't transfer the credits over to a real school like SDSU, etc ?
And of course they don't tell you that, you find about that after the fact. So since they don't tell you that, all they care about is $$$ and nothing else. And I would hazard to guess that the uop's, etc are all like that.

And the Certificate that you will receive once you complete the so called Coleman College course, You might as well wipe you ass with it because that's all it's worth.


Would I go there again if I had to had a choice to do it over again ? Hell no. Brian.

Anonymous said...

My neighbor is a student persuing a MASTER'S DEGREE
IN LEADERSHIP at Coleman. She is unable to get a job since this degree is a joke. She then started an PH.D program with another on-line college that will not assist her in starting a career. She is paying for her degree and she will never be able to pay off the loans.
I do not understand why anyone would attend this on-line college.
I have my Master's from a Regional accredited college thank heavens and the employment doors are open.
There are no short cuts. Employers do look at where you went to college. DON'T BE A FOOL

Anonymous said...

Degrees at Coleman university are not transferable to any other school. Do not waste your money. X employee.

Anonymous said...

hello, i want to get admission in MBA work study program at coleman.
can anybody tell me how is it n i should take or not. and also what is the value of degree in market after completing it from coleman??
thanx in advance

Anonymous said...

The Masters programs are a total waste of time and extremely discouraging to any working professional. The majority of the courses I took in 2012 were wasted with students arguing with professors over why they had to do homework, or why they had to cover the material they were covering. The foreign students know it's a joke as well and don't make an effort to contribute to group assignments. Some of the professors are great and are probably only working there at night to make extra money, but many more are people who went to Coleman themselves and cannot get a job.

If you are thinking of getting your Masters, please go to a school where you will actually learn something that you can apply to your career...apart from having your time wasted by people who don't speak English :)

jake Lary said...

Hi, I am almost done with my bachelor in sdsu with cs major. The problem is I feel a lack of experience and use of real world skills. I heard Colmen has network security programs that train you to get certified in a year and half. HAs anyone done this? Is it worth it?

jake Lary said...

Hi, I am almost done with my bachelor in sdsu with cs major. The problem is I feel a lack of experience and use of real world skills. I heard Colmen has network security programs that train you to get certified in a year and half. Certified meaning network + a+ other certificates like this. HAs anyone done this? Is it worth it?